; Plisherrific: Rainbow on a Cloudy Day - Revlon, LA Girl, Milani

Dec 29, 2016

Rainbow on a Cloudy Day - Revlon, LA Girl, Milani

With the year we're currently having, I need some cheering up before we ring in the new year and I'm cheering myself up with the use of colours!

[Somewhere over the rainbow]
I was trying for a diagonal gradient mani, although I didn't angle the colour change enough for the middle finger so it's not very diagonal, is it? I also wanted the colours to shift to a purple-ish hue at bottom corner of the nail, but it didn't turn out very clearly except for the index finger. I gave up entirely for the last finger, and I think I like that gradient best actually.

[Left to right: Revlon Watermelon Fizz, Revlon Orange Fizz, Revlon Pineapple Fizz,
L.A. Girl Watermelon Splash, Milani Cyberspace, Revlon Blueberry Burst, Revlon Mystical, Revlon Mint Fizz]
I was too lazy to use the sponging method so I pulled out a few jelly nail polishes to see how many colours I could cram into a single mani. Not too bad, I think.

I used a white creme nail polish for the base, to ensure the jelly nail polishes on top would really pop in colour, since most of them are jelly nail polishes. Then as I went from one colour to the next, I overlapped the colours so that they would blend better. The only tips I really have are that you should try to work fast and use few strokes. If you're too slow, it turns into a gloopy mess. Too many strokes and you end up with overly thick layers.

Now, rather than an essay, here's a list to cover the nail polishes from left to right:

  • Revlon Watermelon Fizz - A scented red jelly nail polish with small gold flakies
  • Revlon Orange Fizz - A scented orange jelly nail polish with small gold flakies
  • Revlon Pineapple Fizz - A scented yellow jelly nail polish with small gold flakies
  • L.A. Girl Watermelon Splash - A scented green jelly nail polish with small gold flakies
  • Milani Cyberspace - Not a jelly nail polish, but a light blue holo nail polish with a thin consistency that if applied sparingly, is almost jelly-ish
  • Revlon Blueberry Burst - An extremely jelly mid-blue nail polish, the sort that will never build to full opacity
  • Revlon Mystical - From the Just Tinted collection, a plummy-pink jelly nail polish
  • Revlon Mint Fizz - A scented blue jelly nail polish with silvery flakies. This one is not that jelly-ish and can reach full opacity in 3 coats
Let me explain Mystical's inclusion in this line-up. It does rather break the visual gradient when lined up like that, doesn't it? As I was looking to add a touch of purple into the mani, and I didn't actually have a purple jelly polish that wasn't too dark in shade for this, I opted to add a little bit of pink to the blue to give it the purple hue. I had to include Mint Fizz to touch up the transition in places as well.


[Revlon Watermelon Fizz, Revlon Orange Fizz, Revlon Pineapple Fizz, 
L.A. Girl Watermelon Splash, Milani Cyberspace, Revlon Blueberry Burst, Revlon Mystical, Revlon Mint Fizz]
I'm pretty pleased with the rainbow effect, and it's reminded me how much I miss gradient manis and the like! This is a simple form of nail art, and I love the results.

0 comments:

Post a Comment