; Plisherrific: Superheroes' Frankenpolishes

May 10, 2012

Superheroes' Frankenpolishes

Awhile back, before I decided to do an Avengers manicure, I decided to make Avengers inspired frankens instead! These are my rather strange results, which I'm only sharing now:

Capsicle Just A Kid From Brooklyn aka Captain America

Just A Kid From Brooklyn frankenpolish
Inspired by Captain America's shield colours - red, blue and white - I came up with a jelly-ish red polish that is filled with blue and silver-holo hexes of varying sizes. 'Just A Kid From Brooklyn' is a quote from the Captain America movie.


Just A Kid From Brooklyn frankenpolish
The frankenpolish actually dries glossy, but another coat of fast dry topcoat over it made it really, really glossy. It looks like shiny, glazed candy! This took three coats to achieve, and some of the glitter from the first coat did get buried. I think three coats was a bit of an overkill, since the polish was pretty opaque and heavy by two coats.


Just A Kid From Brooklyn frankenpolish
I wondered if it would look less like candy when mattefied, since Captain America frankens shouldn't inspire thoughts of candy. But nope. Still looks like candy to me. Why?? Also, woah, so many coats of polish on at this point...


Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist aka Iron Man

Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist franken
I thought Iron Man would be best represented by something shiny, so this is a mix of red glitter and gold hex glitter in a clear base. 'Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist' is the oft-quoted line Tony Stark uses to describe himself in The Avengers. I thought I should use something familiar, but wow, it's really long for a name.


Ring finger: Genius, Billionaire, Playboy Philanthropist franken over Ulta3 Crystallina
Other fingers: Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist franken over BeautyStyle Rome Red
Even though Rome Red isn't opaque at one coat, two coats of the franken over Rome Red turns the mani opaque. I think its just how much glitter there is in it, even though it doesn't show in the pictures - probably because the glitter isn't very shiny for some reason. I quite like the glitzy gold bits floating in all that red.


Ring finger: Genius, Billionaire, Playboy Philanthropist franken over Ulta3 Crystallina
Other fingers: Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist franken over BeautyStyle Rome Red 
I might take another stab at creating an Iron Man franken. Tony Stark is my favourite character, so it seems like his franken should have waaaaaaaaaaaaay more bling.


Green Rage Monster aka The Hulk

Green Rage Monster franken
How bizarre. I took this photo before shaking the bottle really well and the different greens hadn't mixed together properly. Perhaps that's a good representation of Bruce Banner and the Hulk after all! :P  There's more glitter in the franken than is obvious here. At this point, I finally bought actual spare bottles for my frankenpolishes! :D

The name of the game for this franken is green, green and more green. And a bit of blue and random glitter for the hidden depths within the quiet Dr Banner and his green counterpart. 'Green Rage Monster' is a quote from The Avengers. It's a bit of a cheat, because Tony says it, not Bruce. But the Bruce quote I wanted to use is a teeny bit spoiler-ish so I'm holding back.


Green Rage Monster franken
This is a mid-green polish with the tiniest bit of light green shimmer, and lots of blue and green hexes, with the occasional silver hexes too. There's also small blue matte glitter that stands out against the green base.

Green Rage Monster franken
It's a completely bizarre polish, but I really like the result! :D  Green Rage Monster is my favourite franken of this lot!

I'm already plotting my next Iron Man franken and perhaps Thor franken too!

6 comments:

  1. These are AWESOME!!!!! I love Just A Kid From Brooklyn mattified, even if it does look like candy... really, really delicious candy! I think Green Rage Monster is my favorite of the bunch too, such a pretty green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what's pretty about Just A Kid From Brooklyn is that it does look yummy candy! Not very much like Captain America, but oh well! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. These are amazing! You did a fantastic job with these frankens! I love Just A Kid From Brooklyn with a matte coat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaay, thank you! I'm still not completely sure about what I'm doing when I franken, but it really is fun!

      Delete
  3. these are really gorgeous!! i'm in love with the captain american one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a favourite! Thank you! :)

      Delete